On June 3rd 2019, the Boca Beach and Parks District (BPD) met to review its on going discussions with the City regarding the design, phasing, and construction of the Boca National Golf Course.
Comments made that capture the tone and direction:
- “if the city takes over the project we will have no control but we need each other … but we have lots of other projects like Gumbo Limbo”
- “the city should take over the project but they will need a consultant to look at the complete design”
- “we have an Interlocal Agreement which needs to be amended if City takes over which will eliminate red tape”
- “the city is being unreasonable”
- “we need to clear up deed restrictions in the Boca Teeca community. This is serious”
- “we have $5 million in cash but will need $10M more”.
The final decision on how to approach the City was that Mr Fazio (the architect of the proposed design) will present the design to the City on June 10 in its workshop. This will include phasing and estimated costs. He will also show possible cut backs in the design and construction that will lower costs.
Also in the meeting, Beach and Parks District commissioner Craig Ernst asked the City to contribute $20 million to the project. This would result in a 55% contribution by the BPD and 45% by the City. This created confusion after spending 3 hours going in the direction of lowering the cost.
If you are in the golfing community or a resident of the Boca Teeca community you should plan on attending this workshop to express your thoughts on a World Class 27 hole course.